The fourteenth in our monthly remote-control briefing series from Open Briefing has been published today. The briefings cover developments in five key areas of remote warfare: special forces, private military and security companies, unmanned vehicles and autonomous weapon systems, cyber warfare and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance.
Key stories this month:
- Special operations forces: Covert activities of French and Italian special operations forces in Libya revealed.
- Private military and security companies: Mercenaries increasingly being used in Yemen conflict.
- Unmanned vehicles and autonomous weapons systems: US Department of Defence developing robotics and autonomous systems strategy.
- Cyber conflict: Developed economies of Asia-Pacific have highest cyber exposure in the region.
- Intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance: European Union and United States reach transatlantic data-transfer agreement.
The Remote Control project is a project of the Network for Social Change hosted by Oxford Research Group. The project examines changes in military engagement, in particular the use of drones, special forces, private military companies and cyber warfare.